September 18 marks National Cheeseburger Day. You have to admit, who doesn’t love a juicy, thick cheeseburger with a side of crispy fries?
Well now is the time to celebrate. Here are six places to get a fabulous cheeseburger on Long Island.
- LT Burger – 62 Main Street, Sag Harbor. Known as the burger KING, renowned chef Laurent Tourondel’s signature burger, known as the LT Backyard Burger, is prepared with grilled hickory smoked bacon, and lots of melted New York state cheddar cheese. Order this burger with one of Tourondel’s signature milkshakes.
- Dirtyburger – 12 Manetto Hill Mall, Plainview. Chef Ian Russo’s “dirty” seasoning technique has truly turned an ordinary burger into something extraordinary. Russo has several burgers on his menu, but a good bet is to start off with the Original Dirtyburger, which is made up of 7 ounces of all-natural, hormone and additive free Angus beef, Dirty-dipped and honey-grilled on a steamy-soft, DB sauced bun. Top with your choice of Swiss, cheddar, American, blue cheese crumbles, mozzarella or honey goat cheese.
- Mirabelle Restaurant and Tavern – 150 Main Street in Stony Brook at the Three Village Inn. Chef Guy Reuge makes an incredible burger with a French flair. His Tavern Burger is a must try. Made with 8 ounces of sirloin, the Tavern Burger is then topped with bacon-onion marmalade and your choice of cheese. It is served with homemade French fries.
- Sapsuckers Hops and Grub – 287 Main Street, Huntington. Sapsuckers is one of four restaurants owned by Huntington chef Nino Antuzzi. Sapsucker’s burgers are all natural, organic and/or antibiotic free. Order The Mallet Burger, an 8 ounce, house-ground, custom blend beef burger topped with lettuce, tomato and red onion on a brioche bun, with your choice of cheddar cheese, gorgonzola, bacon or a fried egg. For the hearty appetite, order The Chief: two beef patties, American cheese, shredded lettuce, sautéed onions and chef sauce served on a brioche bun. Both burgers are served with house fries and a pickle.
- J.A. Heneghan’s – 57 Lido Blvd., Point Lookout. Executive chef Nicole Roarke has her J.A.’s Standard Burger at the top of the menu list. A classic burger made from Angus beef, it is topped with lettuce, tomato and onion, with a choice of cheddar, Swiss, blue or mozzarella cheese, crispy bacon, caramelized onions, mushrooms or a fried egg. This top-notch burger is served with fries or coleslaw.
- O’Murphy’s Restaurant and Pub – 432 West Lake Drive, Montauk, next to Tipperary Inn. Despite its change of location, O’Murphy’s Restaurant and Pub has been a staple in Montauk for over thirty years. Owned by Jan and Chester Kordasz, they have been serving their famous 9 ounce O’Murphy’s Burger for years. Each burger comes with up to three topping choices and an order of fries. Topping choices include sautéed onions, peppers or mushrooms, tangy sauce, bacon, American cheese, Swiss, mozzarella, blue cheese or cheddar cheese, chili or avocado.
So be sure to celebrate National Cheeseburger Day with one of these great burgers found only on Long Island.