We recently discovered a treasure in Yaphank, the New General Store, a seasonal pop-up market and online shop. Created by designers Tricia Foley and Roy Hardin in 2009, and featuring natural home furnishings, pantry provisions and garden supplies, the store has thoughtfully curated products practical in their design and elegant in their simplicity. Several times a year Foley’s Yaphank barn, built in the 1820s, becomes a marketplace full of items from the New General Store and as guest vendors. Foley’s pop-up markets are listed on their website.
With spring cleaning behind us, we have picked out a few items that exude that livin’-is-easy summery feel and are available on the shop’s website.
1) Summer Sea Salts ~ Set of 2 sea salts flavored with mint, rosemary or citrus is excellent for seafood, corn, salads or grilling. Each jar is 7 ounces, 2 for $20.
Scallop Shells ~ Set of 6 Irish scallop shells, 4-inch in diameter, is a charming touch used throughout the house as soap dishes, salt cellars, appetizer dishes, candle holders, office supply organizers. Creates a summer state of mind all year round, 6 for $15.
Stoneware Serving Pieces ~ Pitchers for iced tea, colanders for berries or peaches and the perfect bowl for salad are part of the earthenware collection designed by Barbara Eigen that the New General Store uses for their summer tablescapes. Available in a cream or soft gray matte glaze, between $38 and $95.
2) The Great Canvas Bag ~ Made in New England, this oversize natural canvas bag holds produce from the farmers market, a weekend’s worth of clothes or towels for the beach, $75.
Garden Pruners ~ Wood-handled bypass pruners are the perfect gift for gardeners. Made from stainless steel with ashwood handles. 8” x 2”, $25.
3) Teak Salt Cellars ~ Perfect for salt, pepper or spices, this smooth oval teak dish comes with a 3-inch spoon for serving. Naturally beautiful. The best modern salt cellar. 4″L x 1.5″W x .75″H, $18 each.
4) Oval Platters ~ Signature oval earthenware platter with flat rims are classics. Available in two sizes, glazed in lead-free matte cream or matte grey. Great as a matched set or mixed color. Medium platter is 14” L x 10” W, large platter is 19” L x 13 ½“ W. Handcrafted in USA, $110.
Pitcher ~ Signature earthenware pitcher comes in lead-free glazed matte cream or grey. Looks at home on any table setting, whether country or city, modern or rustic. Holds 52 oz. Handcrafted in USA, 10” H x 4” D, $65.
5) Smoke Glass Tumblers ~ Known as “eau minerale” glasses, these easy-to-stack tumblers, in fine smoky glass, can be used for water, wine or juices—and look great on the table, whether traditional or modern, formal or casual. 3″ D x 4 1/4″ H, holds 8 ounces, set of 4 for $40.
Relaxed Linen Napkins ~ These soft, natural linen napkins, 20″ x 20″, from the Khadi collection, are hand-woven and handmade. In natural color or white relaxed linen, they don’t require ironing. 4 for $68.
Classic White China ~ Royal Doulton’s artisanal “1815” china collection has a creamy glaze and great texture, includes oversize dinner/buffet plates, pasta/salad bowls, soup/cereal bowls and a generous-size mug. It’s all you need for your summer entertaining needs! Sold in sets of 4 for $40 to $60.
6) Rosemary Olive Oil ~ This organic extra-virgin olive oil from Tuscany, infused with rosemary from the North Fork, is bottled in recycled, sterilized wine bottles with new corks. Delicious to drizzle over summer salads or grilled pizzas, 750-ml bottle, $25.
7) Mango Wood Serving Board ~ Made from sustainable, renewable mango wood from Southeast Asia. Our mango wood serving board is great for presentation of hors d’oeuvres, cheeses, even deserts. 17” D x 2 ½”, $95